Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have to go through life believing that most people are basically Good. Believe That they want to feel good about "doing the right thing". Last week our son accidently tapped a car in the parking lot at work. He ran inside the building to ask who's car he had hit. The owner came outside and exchanged numbers with my husband, but because the damage wasn't too bad, She said she would get an estimate and let him know.
Later on at work.. My son was talking to that woman's son.. They walked outside to see the dent and then her son exclaimed to my son... OH THAT DENT WAS THERE ALREADY! When my husband took a second look at our own car that night... he realized that we just had a few scratches and to make the large dent that the other car had it probably would have caused SOMEthing more on ours! So when the dented owner called him a few days later... My husband told her what her son had said and explained how he felt we didn't have enough damage to cause such a dent. She denied the dent was hers! and on the spot Asked her son if he had said that the dent was there already. Of course, he lied and said NO! She said her son must have been remembering the dent on the other side of the car! SO, what are we to do? NOT believe her?? Then!! to make her lie even MORE obvious... she offered to SPLIT the estimated cost with us! SPLIT it? WHY?? If she didn't have that dent already.. WHY is she being SO kind to total strangers?? Good Samaritan or no good S.O.B.? Even though we have our doubts.. we paid up and want to feel good about 'doing the right thing'. ( but doubt sure puts a damper on feeling good.)

11 comments:

George S Batty said...

one of those times to bite the bullet and move on. you only frustrate yourself by dwelling on it.
However, I would sneak over at night and a put good dent in her damn car.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

my daughter tapped a car and the lady was kind enough to get a estimate and then told us that her son could take care of it and only charged us 150.00 for materials and so i sent her a check for 200.00 and told her to take the son out to lunch. there are some good people out there. I say shame on that lady.

Giggles said...

That sucks.....I hope your son isn't affected by this injustice!

Hugs Giggles

Anonymous said...

I'm like you and want to believe that people are basically good at heart, but I have come to realize that the old saying, "no act of kindness goes unpunished," is very apt.

While I still attempt to be kind, I no longer expect much from the other end. Sad, but true.

paisley said...

since each of us can only control our own actions,, i think you did the right thing.. she will have to live with her actions as well,, and if there is anything to karma,, it will all even itself out in the end...

Tumblewords: said...

Oh! A similar situation happened to me - a teenager on her cell phone rear-ended me at a stoplight. Through her tears, I managed to get her name, phone number and mother's name (as well as several witnesses) but when I phoned, the mother said I was a liar - I was trying to make her kid pay for old damage. I pondered. Decided to let it go as the mother is an attorney. I'm embarrassed to say I hope she gets major payback (not life threatening, of course). Wise you!

Patois42 said...

Feel good about doing the right thing and let it go as best you can.

Mark said...

There is a lesson in everything, what is it in this instance? If her son would not have said anything about the dent you would have gladly paid for the full repair. Take it for what it is pay half and let it go.

Barb said...

Wtf? Oops.. pardon my language but people like that are idiots.

When my son was maybe 12 he broke a neighbor child's toy. I sent my son over to explain to it had been an accident and to apologize to the parents. They said he should do lawn work to pay for the.. maybe.. two dollar toy. He did and didn't mind cuz he was a good kid, but I was upset cuz they should have just accepted his apology and thanked him for his honesty.

Spam alert!!!

http://www.skittlesplace.net/2009/07/blue-ribbon.html

Forgetfulone said...

When car accidents are involved, I've learned that almost all people lie. It's happened to me recently, actually. And to family members. People change their stories to make it come out to their advantage. But... you did the RIGHT thing. I'm impressed! Even if it wasn't your dent.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Just remember you did the right thing and what goes around comes around so when her turn comes it will catch up with her and bring you something good instead.