Friday, June 22, 2007

A womans heart

I have a secret. In fact I have many secrets. When I read this weeks Prompt what immediately came to mind was a line from the movie Titanic. It was towards the end, when VERY old Rose says, "A woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets". That line resonates so well with me. I hold so many secrets deep in my heart and they fill my soul up with emotions. Like old Rose, I have many that I will never share with anyone. We all have secrets, some we keep to ourselves and some we share with only a trusted one. The reason My heart is filled with so many secrets is because most of these secrets aren't mine. I am "the trusted one". There seems to be something about my haircutting chair that resembles a confessional. I know it's me too. I am not only a good listener, I am a caring listener. People know they can trust me to keep their deepest secrets private. It gives me a good feeling to know I can help someone unload the burdens they've been carrying for sometimes many years. The problem ( for me) is that their secrets break my heart and fill my already too full head with worry. This week alone, I have had two people I care deeply for, confess something that has been tearing them apart. They've trusted no one else. I try to give advice to the best of my (limited) ability. I usually recommend counseling, because I truly believe in it and because I know they need expert and not a hairstylists advice. Although typically I am a chatterbox, I will take these precious secrets to my grave. I share almost everything in my life with My trusted one ( my husband) but NOT someone's entrusted secrets. Those, along with my own, will go deep into the heart of my ocean.

12 comments:

Giggles said...

Dearest Lucy
I have goose bumps because I could have written and almost did write this same piece verbatim, save the hairdressers chair. I too am the one people tell secrets to on a whim, or on a first meeting. I always wonder how they know I won’t divulge anything. Sometimes it’s a huge burden, but again an honor too! I have secrets that will go to my grave. Even if I had a falling out with someone, their secret will always be safe!
Wonderful post! You beat me to it so I will think of something else to write. We really do attract what we are!

Love and hugs Giggles!

awareness said...

my ocean too is filled with other's secrets and thought about writing on it for this weeks prompt as well. I think there are many in the "service" frontlines who find themselves the keeper of secrets.....it doesn't surprise me that this happens often in the haircutting chair. When i think of the many intimate conversations i have had with my hairstylist....going both ways because she knows i'm a counsellor, i can completely understand it. For one thing, I'm relaxed and it's often a time of catching up on our lives....a debrief of sorts.

So many people out there are such lonely souls that it does break one's heart.......

take care.....

Anonymous said...

It is not the mind but heart which can hold endless secrets.

Gill said...

I love your post. It sometimes is a heavy burden to be a willing ear, but what a service you are doing for those who unburden to you.

paris parfait said...

That line from Titantic resonated with me as well. I think women carry many more secrets in their heart than men do, as women usually have a better affinity to listen and understand. Obviously you have a sympathetic nature, which is why so many people confide in you. Lovely post.

rel said...

Lucy,
You are a rare gem in the gravel of mankind which harbors too many gossips.
Sharing secrets is risky business.
I don't share mine, nor those entrusted to me.
rel

Patois42 said...

How spectacular that so many find you the worthy vessel for their secrets. It says a lot about you.

Anonymous said...

I think that you're right that people tell their stylists lots more than they tell anyone else. My stylist says the same thing. Good of you to direct your clients on to therapy. I bet that they just need someone they trust to tell them that it's okay to seek help.

Jane said...

Lovely post Lucy! What lucky, lucky people to have such a caring and trusty friend in you.

daisies said...

so beautifully written, what a lovely post and what a lovely friend you are to those who share :)

Anonymous said...

You're an amazing, caring and special woman, Lucy. You've added hope, love and sparkle to many people's lives (what lucky clients you have!)...in person and via your writing. Thank you for being such a good friend to me, as well.
Love, Jenny

Liza on Maui said...

"...There seems to be something about my haircutting chair that resembles a confessional. I know it's me too. I am not only a good listener, I am a caring listener...."

Where is your salon again? Lucky customers - they get free therapy that comes with haircut :)