Monday, January 26, 2009

Lulus Shrimp Scampi



Ingredients you need...

* 1 pound linguini
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
* 1 small onion finely diced
* 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
* Pinch red pepper flakes
* 1 bag of frozen shrimp
* 1/2 cup flour
* salt and ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* Juice of 1 lemon
* 1/2 cup chick. broth
* 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves


Need a great easy dinner for tonight?
Try my new shrimp scampi recipe!
I always keep a bag of frozen shrimp from Costco on hand in my freezer.
For nights when You don't have a clue of what to make AND u are short on time,
this recipe is a great solution!
The bag says not to quick defrost the shrimp by running them under cold water
I hope it's not for safety reasons, because (in my best Rachel ray voice)..
Hey! I used to do it all the time and I'm not about to stop now!
So while those babies are in a colander under the cold water
I put up my 8 qt. pot of water to boil for the linguini (or whatever pasta u have)

Saute one finely chopped onion and 3 cloves of garlic and red pepper flakes in
2 Tbsp. of butter and Two Tbsp. of Olive Oil on low in a large fry pan till soft
When the shrimp are thawed,(i take off the tails) then put them on a stack of paper towels
so they aren't drenched. dab them in dish of flour and put on clean plate
When onions and garlic are soft, raise temp. to med/high ADD shrimp
toss often till they are cooked (about 4 min.) (add some s&p now too) you may need
a few drops more of olive oil
remove shrimp with slotted spoon and put aside
In that same fry pan add 1/2 cup of white dry wine
One freshly squeezed lemon and approx. 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
bring to a quick boil then lower and add 2 more tbsp. butter and 2 more
tbsp. of olive oil.
Put shrimp back in and add 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley and salt and pepper.
Throw this over your drained linguini. If you need to, add a drizzle more of
olive oil. and MMMMm It is delicious! Don't forget the grated cheese at the table!
Hope u enjoy it!

10 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Oh come on is there really anything in this world that is extra virgin?

Barb said...

I'm allergic to shrimp. :(

You CAN send me the recipe for that spinach pasta you mentioned in my Just A Quickie not too long ago. With the tomato and black olives? That sounded so good i was almost drooling.

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! I love shrimp dishes; they're so quick and easy. My favorite is shrimp creole.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm that looks delicious! I absolutely LOVE shrimp!

Giggles said...

Sounds similar to my old Merve Griffin recipe from the 70's I have since altered it to be more heart smart though. By using 1% milk instead of cream, and I vary the cheese. I will try your version for sure. I always have that costco bag of shrimp in the freezer too!! Last time I used it though it wasn't as tasty as normal. I throw the shrimp in frozen at the end. And yes the only reason they don't want you to thaw it in water is for bacteria reasons.....but as long as the water is ice cold it's fine....take that from an ex meat wrapper! I thaw mine on defrost in the microwave for other dishes.....which is probably worse!

Hugs Giggles

Bone said...

That sounds delicious! I love shrimp but never liked taking the time to devein them. Guess I could try frozen.

If you need a recipe for a radish rose, lemme know. I'm making one in my shower.

Barb said...

Back for the recipe :P

threesidesofcrazy said...

This sounds scrumptious! Sorry, I haven't been around much lately with working on the house so trying to play catch up on blog reading.

Poopsie aka Blue said...

Now, this I have to try!

Tammy Brierly said...

Dave can handle that, I think. lol Thanks! HUG