Friday, July 18, 2008

Mr. C.

This week sunday scribblings asks us "Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen one?"

Many may answer these questions with- "There are NO such things as ghosts"! I, myself USED to feel that way too. I want to tell you a true story, A story that permanently Changed my feelings. After you read my story, The ABC's of why I believe, you most likely will still not believe in ghosts. I really think that unless you personally witness, as I have, an unexplainable, mysterious phenomenon; you are never quite open enough or brave enough to fully believe that GHOSTS Really, REalLY DO exist....

It all began one quiet friday spring morning in 1990. I had only Two little boys back then. They were playing together nicely as I did all my morning chores around the house. The phone rang, it was my dear friend Ann, she was very upset and having a difficult time trying to talk to me through her tears. I said "Ann, What is it? what's wrong?" She finally managed to say " Diana is talking to my father". Diana is Ann's daughter who at this time was only 3 years old. Diana had never been able to meet Ann's father before. You see... He had died a few years before she was ever born.
Ann begged me to come over right away, because her daughters bizarre behavior was 'just freaking her out". I packed up the boys quickly and drove the 30 minutes to where she used to live. When we arrived, things had calmed down. Ann wasn't crying and Diana was busy playing. My kids settled in with Diana and her toys and Ann explained what had occurred that morning right before she called me. She didn't have to explain for too long, because after a few minutes of chatting, Ann's father returned to the house and I witnessed first hand, covered in chills, why my sweet friend was feeling so ruffled.

Diana walked into her bedroom and started laughing and said "oh mommy, that silly man is back, He keeps saying he is going to get my nose!" (The game Ann had witnessed her father play with cute little kids her whole life) Diana continued, " He is so funny mommy"! Ann started getting upset but she said "Diana, tell me what the man looks like." MY goosebumps elevated to new heights as I listened to this sweet little girl describe Ann's father to a tee! Like the sweet thing she was,knowing it may not be nice, she shyly said
'He's got a big nose mommy!' Ann asked about his hair color and she replied it's black and curly like Aunt Lu's. I said to Ann... Do you have a picture of your dad handy? Show it to Diana. She ran to her bedroom to find a picture. I uncomfortably stayed in the pink & lavender frilly room with only Diana and the ghost of my dear friends father. Diana was still giggling and speaking to him, AND listening as well! I bravely lifted my hand and Waved towards the spot it appeared he was in and interjected with " Hi Mr. C. How have you been?" (pretty stupid question, don't you think?) When her Mom showed her the photograph, and asked " Does he look like this honey?" Dianas beautiful face came alive, her eyebrows raised with excited recognition and she replied, (with the innocent honesty of an angel),..."THAT'S THE MAN MOMMY, THERE HE IS! RIGHT THERE"! Don't YOU see him?" and she extended her outstretched arm and pointed finger towards the corner of the room.
All of a sudden Dianas happy face grew serious as if she was straining to hear him better. Ann asked "What's wrong ?" (I was just frozen silent with paralyzing astonishment)
Diana very slowly and seriously said,
"he wants you to know the baby is with him and he is taking care of her." Ann began tearing again and said 'WHAT, WHAT DID HE SAY?" Diana said, "he wants you to stop crying Mommy and to know the baby is safe. It's okay". I was a little confused until I remembered that Ann had told me that her first cousin had given birth to a still born baby girl the very week before. Ann's first cousin, whose godfather was.. Mr. C. He was trying to let the family know that the baby of the goddaughter he adored, was with him and being cared for. This had to be the reason for his visit.

My emotional sweet friend tried to gather herself and as she held on to me for (wobbly) support, Through her tears she told her father.... "I love you Daddy, go to the light, Go to the light!" ( later she told me, she remembered seeing something on tv about spirits needing to return to the light! At the time she watched it she had thought it was ridiculous)
Diana happily resumed playing with my kids for the day and never, ever mentioned seeing her grandfather again.

As much as I adore and love my friend Ann, I must say... I don't really know if that eerie days occurrences would have been quite as convincing and powerful if she would have only told me about them. I truly had to experience it with my own eyes to know....A.) Three year olds Could never be that accurately imaginative
B.) Especially when that three year old wasn't aware of the baby's death, Or of her grandfathers image and IS NOT Meryl Streep.. and finally C.) in the immortal words of the lovable cowardly lion....
Yes, I do believe in ghosts, I do, I do, I do, I do!!

(this is my son who was also 3 at the time of the occurance, I don't know why it's here,
he kind of looks like HE'S just seen a ghost! (If you turn up the volume, you will hear the song Ghost)

22 comments:

Forgetfulone said...

That is so eerie. I don't disbelieve you, though. I don't know if I would ever want to have that experience firsthand, because I think I would freak out, but I do find it interesting - not "ghost" stories like scary, wanna-hurt-you stories - but stories from the other side contacting the living world, I guess. There is obviously an other side.

latree said...

is spirit = ghosts? i think ghosts are scary sight. and I alwasy think i'd be frightened seeing one. but i've seen one, it didn't scary me a lot coz it wasn't scary enough.
do you want to ever see one, lu?

Crafty Green Poet said...

What an eerie and moving experience!

Robin said...

I believe you. I think children are born with the ability to see many things that our rational adult brains don't let us see.

anthonynorth said...

That's an excellent recollection. I don't know whether you know, but I've researched such subjects for years - even had a couple of books published on the subject - and have experienced 'ghosts' myself.
I don't accept the classically defined meaning of a ghost - I think they CAN be answered in other ways. But I certainly know things such as this are experienced - and by far more people than are prepared to admit it.

Anonymous said...

I teared up and got the chills at the same time. I always hoped my loved ones were with me and not just in my heart. Thanks for that warming story. I will never see any of the "speakers" because I was afraid of disturbing them. Besides, the church says horrible things about doing that and damning the souls of the departed. I would never want to hurt them just because of my selfish need for reassurance. YOU just gave it to me.

Linda Jacobs said...

An eerie but well-written story!

And I love the pic of your son. Those eyes!

paisley said...

i want to believe.. i talk to them all the time,, and hope they are with me,, and know i love them... i have begged and pleaded to be able to see evidence of ghosts,, but i guess i want it too much......

Granny Smith said...

You have written this well and convincingly. And I love the picture of your son as a three-year-old!

Anonymous said...

Well you've convinced me! Such a good read.

Writer Bug said...

Ooh. Interesting story, and well told! (And I LOVE that indigo girls song.)

danni said...

absolutely great story --- i do believe in occurences like these, lucy, and i believe that children are sometimes more open to the experience because of their innocence and the fact that they are blank slates on which we tend to write our own beliefs and sometimes inhibit them that way --- the very young are more unconditional and less judgemental so tend not to reject things out of hand, they just go with the flow - i think your friend was very lucky to be a part of this experience - thanks for sharing this!!!

Tammy Brierly said...

I believe that story completely and even added a touch of it in my own death story.

Your son is such a cutie pie. Three is a great age. ;) HUGS

Giggles said...

Why is it that the spirits gravitate to corners I wonder? I couldn't believe how similar some of my experiences have been! Wonderful writing very believable story! I know there to be more! Adorable your son, and look at those eyes, my favorites!

Hugs Giggles

Mya said...

You did an amazing job telling your story. It was wonderful. I have never wanted to believe, probably out of fear or faith.
I had an experience like yours; when a 3 yr old boy I was babysitting claimed he saw a man in my kitchen and described him to look like an old farmer. At that moment I was reading a last wil and testiment of an old farmer. He was a past relative of mine and part of my geneology research. he never spoke of him again. That was a strange moment.
I enjoyed my visit.
-Mya

Michelle said...

Goosebumps and chills... I loved this! I do believe, I do believe! :)

JP/deb said...

I've always been a believer and this just affirms my own understanding of the spiritual world. Thanks for sharing Lucy. xx, JP/deb

myrtle beached whale said...

I am a total believer. I have had experiences I cannot adequately express.

Anonymous said...

Wow- this was eerie, scary. But beautifully written- I felt the emotion that you put into it. I have never seen a ghost but i think I believe...I'm certainly very curious and I would never discount it.
Thanks for sharing- great SS!
Bella:)

Forgetfulone said...

Come on over and get your awards!

Anonymous said...

wow, this is an intense story...sitting alone last night in an unfamiliar setting I could definitely feel the chills as well...at the same time what a heart warming connection between family members young and old.

rebecca said...

this was eerie, all right and confirms that the dead stay with us in spirit and that there is something there after we die. something similar happened to my sister in law. when her father passed away, her daughter who was two at the time, would wake up every night and go sit in the dark in the living room talking and laughing to herself. this happened for awhile. when she asked her daughter who she was talking to, the child replied: it's grandpa, mommy. he comes to visit me and play with me every night. i find it incredible that children can see what we cannot.... is it their innocence that allows for that reception? don't know.

good story.