Sunday, March 11, 2007

dream journey

I recently wrote about dreams, because mine have been disturbing lately. So the prompt this week, Dream Journey- made me question what path I took to get here. What dreams have led me to these troubled ones? Is there a connection? The fact that my new dreams are reoccurring is reminding me of reoccurring dreams I had during my dreadful high school years. My high school dreams were about escaping. I was running through a fun house type of house. Opening doors only to realize it was a dead end. Panicky and frightened, I kept trying to get out. The weird thing is even back then I was holding a childs hand, Not as young as the recent nightmares, but still representing a dependent, innocent. I had this dream sometimes 3 times a week. Always waking disturbed and puzzled. I remember questioning my psychology teacher and his interpretation was, I was trying to escape a troubling situation and the child I was dragging was My inner child, the Naive, gullible part of me. ( he elected me "most gullible", because one day the bell didn't sound the same, when I questioned it, he told me the man that usually made that noise was out sick so it was a substitute making the new sound! I can't even believe I was ever THAT gullible!) A few months after I moved out of my moms home, I realized those dreams had stopped. Giving me a great understanding of what was troubling me. When I was feeling happy and less stressed so were my dreams. Through the years I have had a few memorable nightmares, In vivid color, as exciting and suspenseful as a hitchcock flick. But it's those reoccurring dreams that stick with me. It's so curious, that we can repeat the same theme and images. It's like we have a built in dvd player and are too lazy to think up a new adventure some nights. Just hit play and watch it again.

I don't think these "neglected baby" dreams have anything to do with escaping. The fact that they are reoccurring may be the only thing they have in common with those old dreams. As far as stress goes, I have been feeling less stressed than I have in years. I feel like a totally different woman than who I was in December. I made a few life changes and I make a conscious effort each day to stop and smell the roses, and stop and realize how lucky I am. So maybe the journey has become me forgetting about the inner me, because she doesn't need my help anymore. She is independent a little less innocent and happy, real happy and grateful for being so.

4 comments:

Kimberley McGill said...

I like the way you pulled the dream threads form past to present - and your interpretation sounds like it fits. Hope your dreams turn sweeter soon.

Jane said...

Good Monday morning Lucy! I love to hear about your dreams. It all fascinates me. I have been having a reoccuring dream theme lately too and I wake up feeling sad and depressed. But in my waking life, I'm happy and more productive than I've been in a long time. I try to write them down if I can remember them and try to see what patterns emerge.

Deirdre said...

Those recurring dreams are always so strange. It sounds like you're aware and open to what they might be telling you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
One of the sessions I went to this past weekend dealt with dreams. The instructor talked about keeping a dream journal, recording what you saw, felt, etc. She also mentioned that books that say what a dream means aren't very useful because it's all so personal and what goes for one person could mean an entirely different thing for another. Better to journal and look for patterns that are particular to you, yourself.

Also found out, "Direct Your Intention." In other words, state that you'd like peaceful dreaming before you go to bed, if that's what you want. If you want to know more about what the child or any other symbol represents, direct your intention to find that out and ask that your symbols in your dream become more clear to you. Hope this helps...The class was really fascinating.