Friday, June 05, 2009

Gee it's been a long time...

I feel like I haven't blogged in ages! Sometimes when i am feeling blue which happens from time to time, I seem to close all doors of communication. Sounds familiar doesn't it? My last post wasn't about me but I guess it could have been. Sometimes feelings of being overwhelmed can make us distance ourselves but sometimes feelings of sadness can do it too.
I usually try to make my posts light and humorous. After all, who wants to hear about my bad week! Well you are hearing it! It's just been an extremely trying, mentally exhausting, sad week.

There! I shared it! (sans the details) This morning when I tried to greet my first client with a happy smile, I instead burst into tears and into her arms where for the first time in the 12 years that she has been coming to me with gray roots and frayed troubles... SHE comforted ME. Shortly after I began wrapping her perm, my joints started aching, my head throbbing and I began to shiver and raised the thermostat to 80 degrees. My son stayed home from school due to a fever and cough and I had guessed that I must have caught it. After a short work day, still feeling a light head and a tightness in my chest, I drove my poor youngest son to the pediatrician.

You can imagine my shock when Dr. P. told me that he was sure my son had the flu and since the flu is rare in June, YES he assumed he had the dreaded swine flu.( cue the DA DA DA DA alarming organ music here or turn up and listen to my playlist pick for this post! )
Dr. P. did a swabbing of his nasal mucous and 10 minutes later confirmed that my son did indeed have the flu. ( Dr.'s are now being instructed NOT to send the swab out for further testing to pin point the specific strain) He also said that most likely I had a milder case and suggested I see my doctor too. (which I did) He then said 'The good news' for us is that he is expecting a horrific number of swine flu cases this coming winter and since My son and I now have the antibodies, we most likely, will be spared. (Gee that sounds like awful news really, doesn't it? I hope he is wrong in that scary assumption. ) So my son and I were put on Tami-flu which is an anti-viral medication. If you begin this medicine within 48 hours of feeling ill, it can help you start feeling well much sooner. This brilliant pediatrician also put our minds at ease explaining that only 5 people died of the swine flu as oppose to the 30,000 that die yearly from the usual type of flu's. The media being responsible for blowing it out of proportion and making us all so fearful.

I always try to put things into perspective and so I realize that this isn't SO terrible compared to so many troubles in people's lives. But my heart breaks for my son, who is a junior in high school and is missing much year end reviewing and two Very important tests. A chemistry test today AND he was scheduled to take the SAT's tomorrow morning. He wanted to go take the sat's despite the 103 temperature that he has! I, of course, Would NEVER let him do that. According to his chemistry teacher who I emailed with today, MoST of my son's high school seems to be out sick, which makes me think this swine thing is much more wide spread than we are being told....
So there you have it... My reason for not blogging too much and the reason I now look and feel like this..

6 comments:

Gill said...

Oh my word Lucy, hope you and your son are feeling better already. That Tamiflu is wonderful stuff, my Paula is coming to the end of her course and it literally turned her around in 48 hours.

Giggles said...

Awe feel better Lucy!! So sorry you're in a bad way!! Take care, rest and let Mr Petals pamper you!!
The media does try to stir things up, it's really annoying. Hard to know what to beleive anymore!!

Big hugs and love From Canada!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

So there you go giving the pigs a bag name.You know they changed the name to H1n1 or some crap. Hope you and your son take care of yourselves. And Lucy even if you haven't been blogging lately we think about and miss you. each in are own way are going through a little something that makes us blue.

paisley said...

lucy,, you poor darlings both of you.. get in bed right now.. get plenty of rest drink plenty of fluids take your medication and please please please get well soon!!!!!

Tumblewords: said...

Arghh. How rotten. So sorry. Hope you're feeling muy better now and that the boy is, too. Dang stuff. Take care...

Forgetfulone said...

Since I haven't checked your blog in a couple of days, I'm hoping you're feeling all better. The media certainly did blow the swine thing out of proportion, but from what I understand, the people who got swine flu actually got well in less time than the regular flu. Did your son reschedule his SAT's?