Sunday, February 25, 2007

puzzled

This weeks prompt for scribblings is PUZZLED.
This week I've been puzzled by many things, what really stands out is Loneliness. I had a client almost break down as she quietly confessed how lonely she feels. It was a very sad and awkward moment. She was already in her coat getting ready to leave my salon. She has a husband, grown children and many friends. Isn't it puzzling that with all these wonderful people to share her life, she still is feeling so alone? It was a hesitant, last minute decision to share this very private, very real feeling. I hugged her and asked her to stay and we could talk, but she felt embarrassed I think and didn't want to trouble me, knowing I had an appointment to get to. How could I not reach out and try to sit and console this woman? With tears brimming, she quickly thanked me and said "don't worry" and was on her way. She left but her sadness stayed with me. How many of us are feeling lonely and have no one to confide in? I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse that people seem to want to "open up" to me. Many years ago I had asked a coworker if he had a difficult time hearing peoples woes. He said "when they leave their problems leave with them." I wish I could be that way, but I feel what they feel. I find myself thinking of these stories of sorrow while trying to live my happy little life!
On a much, MUCH lighter note, another thing I am puzzled by this week is undergarments.
I bought a beautiful dress for an upcoming wedding, but odd as it is, my girls are letting me down
I saw a show about celebrities getting ready for the oscars. They showed all these VERY big girls in thin spaghetti straps and strapless and one strapped dresses. How the hell Are THEIR girls so high-spirited? If there is a perky trick out there helping these size G girls, I need to find it. Why can't my girls soar? They've been good girls and have done very well by me. They deserve an uplifting night on the town. ( any tips or inventions welcomed!)

10 comments:

Faith said...

I am lucky to have a few very close friends. I don't know what I'd do with out them. I find my blog helpful too. It provides friendship and company on a very relaxed level when I am stuck at home in the evenings and on weekends.

As for the girls I've heard of these strapless backless bras you can get that stay on with tape. It doesn't sound comfortable but I guess it works:o)

Anonymous said...

When they are FAKE, they must defy gravity! Maybe they are rigged up when they are installed? When designers begin to realize that some of us girls (between beanpoles and wearing things made by Abdulla the tent-maker) have natural body parts that we might want to cover, maybe we will be able to actually buy dresses that look fashionable and fit as well.

paris parfait said...

It's a sad story about that woman, but nice that she confided in you. Perhaps she'll talk to you more another time - sometimes it's easier to talk to a person who's not close to the subject and can take an objective look at the situation, without being judgmental. As for the "girls," I have this trouble too, but haven't found a solution. Sigh.

Regina said...

Um... you could try push-ups- the exercise kind I mean. Even if you do them on your knees, they will help build up your pectoralis muscles...
And I am so happy that women confided in you- I bet she felt much better just telling you.

Giggles said...

Lucy you are much like me, taking on the worries of the world. It’s just our personality. I remember feeling more lonely in my long term marriage than I ever have now on my own eleven years! As for the girls, put me on the list, it’s my problem too!

Hugs Sherrie

Deirdre said...

It's hard for me to let go of some things I hear during my day. My heart aches for people who try so hard to have a good life and don't quite get there. I read somewhere once that what people really need is a good listening to. I believe that's the best we can do in some situations and is all they need at that moment.

A specialty shop should have just what you need for the dress. Bring it with you so you can try on a variety of support garments and see what does the job best.

Bob the Frog said...

you obviously have a big, open heart and people can sense that. we need more people like you in the world. the challenge is for the sensitve hearts of the world to find the balance between helping and self-care.

good luck with girls... :)

Anonymous said...

There's ALOT of folks very grateful that YOU are the kind, listening soul that you are. I am one of them.

Lucy said...

Thanks everyone for all the beautiful thoughts and the advice for my gals!

jenica said...

as for the girls, just get pregnant! they plump up nicely and stay in place for a few months. there are some side-effects... children.