Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Once upon a time

Once upon a time you walked through a grocery store... aisle by aisle...you would often see a young mother, Baby in her cart, talking with animated expressions, happy to be spending quality bonding time with her baby as she accomplished food shopping along with the gift of lovingly spending time with her child.
Once upon a time you walked through your neighborhood.... street by street... you would often see a young mom pushing her baby in his stroller, sometimes she would be singing a soft lullaby to lull her sweet child to sleep, other times... the animated expressions and songs of wheels on the bus and the itsy bitsy spider, teaching and loving and enjoying this precious moment.
That is, Once upon a time, before technology took over the brains and common sense of normal, intelligent people.

Now I find it distractingly disturbing to see children being ignored while parents are busy talking on their phones to... WHO?? really.. WHO is more important than the one who is with you in THIS moment? I've witnessed couples in restaurants, each busy texting someone else, Oblivious to the moment they're in. Today I saw a woman walking her dog while on the phone.
The dog was pulling and distracted and totally needed to be taught how to heel, but NO corrections could be made... she looked like she was oblivious to the fact that she even had a leash in her hand. I know I am getting older and to some i must sound like an out of touch old cranky biddy. But I really feel strongly about this and I think that everyone needs to step back and look at each moment in their lives and really see what is important. Trust me, Children grow up in a heartbeat. They really really need your special attention now. Life is so busy, Parents Need to work long hours, I certainly understand all that... but when your child, loved one or even your pet is there with you... Make them feel special. Give Them a special moment. Let them know THEY are worth your time, or you may find your self some day saying... Once upon a time I had a child, but they don't seem to have any time for me anymore.
visit..heads or tails

12 comments:

anthonynorth said...

An important point here. I find it amazing that, the more we have the tech to communicate, the less important communicating we actually do.

threesidesofcrazy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
threesidesofcrazy said...

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy you have hit the nail on the head! I was just thinking this last night while I was out attending my bowling banquet. I had walked out to the bar to get a drink and there sat a father and a 10 year old boy. Dad was on his cell phone ignoring his child and the child was being annoying to other patrons (also a reason I don't like it here - children DO NOT belong at the bar under ANY circumstances, but that is my opinion and another story). Anyway, dad did not so much as glance at his son - he was so busy on his blackberry and honestly it didn't sound important enough to be ignoring his child. And no I wasn't eavesdropping, but kind of hard to ignore when someone is having a personal conversation in a loud public place and they are almost screaming into their phone, then again that is yet another story LOL. Point is I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AGREE with you!!

Barb said...

I give you a standing ovation for this post, Miss Lucy. (Yeah, I know you're married. :P )

I see the same things all the time. I even "watch" it when I'm playing games at Pogo.com. Mothers will actually say, "I'll brb. The brats are hungry." I really really want to speak my mind when I see that.

Sometimes I do. *wink*

Grace said...

Thanks for the great reminder. We blink and they are all grown up.

Forgetfulone said...

So true! One reason I don't allow cell phones at the dinner table, and I insist we eat as a family at least three times a week. i wish it was every night. We need to enjoy each other's company.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

that is why i don'thave a cell phone. I don't need to talk to anyone that badly. are we that bored that we need to be in touch all the time.

keith said...

Excellent. I'm sure I managed very well before those wreched little phones were invented. The funniest thing I used to see when I had my pub was somebody standing at the bar ordering food or drinks then phoning their friend at a nearby table to ask if they wanted ice in their drink or how they wanted their steak cooked!

Penny said...

Ooooh I am guilty of that sometimes. Actually what I love to do when taking the dogs for a walk is take photos on my phone. I guess that's not so bad!! But I would like to hope if I have a baby I won't be ignoring it while on the phone

Tumblewords: said...

Right on! Right on! Well said!

ladygarfield said...

that is so true. and it's not just with the mothers or the fathers. it happens all the time with the friends too... and the colleagues... and the neighbours. somehow the person on the other end of the line is so darn important that the one who's physically present with you right there.

paisley said...

this was so well written and about something everyone needs to hear... wonderful post luc......